Pun very intended ;) For the last few months, we've been getting a monthly shipment from The Honest Company. All of their products are chemical-free, which has been a big focus for me, especially since Xavier was born. I've been trying to weed out our household products that are full of icky chemicals and replace them with more natural options. It's helpful to do it little by little, which is where The Honest Company has been a huge help! Each month, I receive 5 products in my "bundle" and I can change the products from month to month. So for one month, I can focus on bath products (shampoo, bubble bath, etc.) and the next month, focus on cleaning products, and so on. I like to check all my products on the EWG database or the ThinkDirty app for toxicity; it helps to see what their ratings are as I make decisions about what to buy for our family. All of The Honest Company's products have a score of 3 or lower on the EWG database, with most products scoring a 1 (the lowest and best score!)
Here are all the products we've tried:
- DIAPERS: I'm a big fan of these diapers. Xavier rarely wears disposables since we exclusively cloth diaper, but there's been a few instances where I timed laundry poorly and we ran out of cloth, or for various reasons he had to be in disposables for a day or so. We've used a handful of brands, including Meijer generic, Target generic and Seventh Generation, and The Honest Co. ones are by far the best.
- WIPES: I keep disposable wipes in the diaper bag for convenience, and I love these. Xavier got a terrible diaper rash after using two other kinds of disposable wipes (Pampers and Huggies brands), but he's never gotten a rash from this kind!
- SOOTHING BOTTOM WASH: We use this as wipe spray for our cloth wipes, and it works great! We were using a more expensive kind from the cloth diaper store before, and this works just as well, if not better. Although I will say that we go through this pretty fast, and I will probably start making my own wipe spray to save a little bit of money.
- BUG SPRAY: I haven't actually used this yet, but I'm very excited to have a natural bug spray for all the time we'll spend outdoors this summer! I definitely didn't want to use the regular brands like OFF since they're full of junk.
- SHAVE OIL: I also haven't used this yet, but it smells amazing!
- BUBBLE BATH: Mmmm their bubble bath smells so good! I love the lavender kind. Xave does, too! It does seem to take a lot for it to get really bubbly though, so we go through this pretty fast.
- FACE WIPES: I have to admit, I'm pretty terrible about washing my face. These face wipes are a lifesaver for taking my makeup off at the end of the day and at least feeling somewhat clean!
- TOOTHPASTE: pretty run of the mill toothpaste...nothing extraordinary but nothing to complain about either!
- SHAMPOO + BODY WASH: First of all, I love that this is a two-in-one product, because nothing makes me happier than doing more with less and saving money along the way. And I think it's silly that companies try and sell us fifty bazillion products that all essentially do the same thing. Need to wash your hair? Use soap. Need to wash your body? Use soap. Boom, done. This is the only soap we've used on Xavier since the beginning and he still has the smoothest, silkiest soft skin at seven months. It gets in his face and eyes and he never notices! Matt and I also use this as body wash. That being said, the one time I used it as shampoo, it didn't work so great, BUT I also used conditioner that day that I forgot to rinse out (#mombrain) so that might have something to do with it. I need to try it again and see if it works better. I will say that I used Young Living's shampoo, as well as Dr. Bronner's castille soap, and liked The Honest Co. better, even with the forgetting-to-rinse debacle. So that's saying something!
- CONDITIONER: See above - the one time I used the conditioner, I didn't love how my hair felt afterward, BUT I forgot to rinse it out (haha) and I'm not convinced I got it all out even after a second shower. SO I need to try it again, and I have high hopes!
- BELLY BALM: I only used this a tiny bit at the very beginning of my pregnancy because then I made a version with coconut oil and essential oils, but I'll definitely be using it next time!
- DISHWASHER PODS: These seem to work great! We're having an issue with our water softener so it's hard to tell if they work better or worse than other brands or if it's the softener causing issues, but I have a feeling its the softener.
- DISH SCRUBBER: I got this cute little scrubber for FREE with my last order and I'm in love! It looks so cute sitting on the sink and replaced our old sponge scrubber which got icky quick. And I love the spring action that makes getting the scrubber sudsy SO easy!
- FACE + BODY LOTION: This is the only lotion we've used on Xavier and it's awesome. I also use it from time to time and love it! I like it much better than this kind from Young Living, for what it's worth.
- LAUNDRY DETERGENT: I have tried so many brands of natural laundry detergent and this kind is definitely my favorite so far. I tried Young Living, Seventh Generation, Rockin' Green and a few others, but wasn't impressed. Honest Co. all the way!
- TAMPONS + LINERS: I haven't used these yet, but I was shocked to find out about all the junk that is in conventional tampons and liners! Um, no thank you! These ones are 100% organic cotton, which is sooo much better for your skin.